Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Subjects and goals for Helicopter EMS: As the Rotor Turns.


What’s this thing all about?

            That was probably the first thing you asked yourself when you saw this blog.  A lot of thought has gone into deciding to start this blog.  I will just touch on some of the ideas that will be in upcoming posts.

            I have found myself frustrated with some aspects of the HEMS(Helicopter Emergency Medical Services) environment and believe there are others who have similar concerns.  My intention is to keep this blog completely POSITIVE and only point out problems or observations with suggestions to make them better.  I invite positive and productive comments and feedback.  Any derogatory or overtly negative comments will be removed to maintain the positive nature of this blog.

            Safety is one of the biggest subjects I want to keep at the top of this blog.  I have been working in HEMS for many years and have been lucky more than once.  My desire is to help others learn from my experiences and mishaps.  Hearing about incidents in our industry concerns me, whether it is about an aircraft, ground ambulance, or anything else where one of our own was hurt.  This happens entirely to often and is almost always preventable. 

            Education, training, and clinical experiences are other topics that I feel are important.  It is so easy to become complacent.  I know this from my own experience.  Our shifts are either really busy and we do not feel like training or they are slow and we get into the “I’ll do it tomorrow” way of thinking.  I am hoping that we can help to motivate each other and share some good learning opportunities.

            Stress Management also comes to mind as something I would like to discuss. However, I am no expert at this and will be looking for any suggestions you may have to help with this topic.  I will be doing more research before I write about this subject.

            As you can see, I have a long list of subjects worthy of chatting about.  I do plan of posting a bio about myself, and how I came to be where I am.  I would love to hear about all of you.

            Check back often and keep in touch!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment